If you think juice cleanses are extreme, check out this misguided diet.
An Iowa woman recently told her doctor that she bought a tapeworm on
the Internet and ingested it in an attempt to lose weight. The doctor
was apparently so stumped by the patient's bad decision that he had to
call the state health department for guidance.
The agency told the doctor to have his patient de-wormed by way of
some special medication that kills the parasite. Dr. Patricia
Quinlisk, medical director at the Iowa Department of Public Health,
recounted the incident in an e-mail to public-health workers Thursday.
"Ingesting tapeworms is extremely risky and can cause a wide range of
undesirable side effects, including rare deaths," Quinlisk wrote,
according to the Des Moines Register. "Those desiring to lose weight
are advised to stick with proven weight loss methods; consuming
fewercalories and increasing physical activity."
Tapeworms are parasites that can afflict humans who eat undercooked
meat. "One tapeworm can't absorb enough food and nutrients to make a
big difference in weight… the parasite can causeanemia and
malnutrition," USA Today noted.
According to i09, other symptoms of tapeworm infestation include
having pieces of them stick out of your mouth after a cesarean
section, followed by a "burning sensation" after you pull the
four-foot long sucker out.
Someone pass the lemon juice.