Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Baraje Quits Railway Board, Tells Jonathan He Has No Faith In PDP Leadership

The national Chairman of the new Peoples Democratic Party, Abubakar
Kawu Baraje, today resigned his position as chairman of the Governing
Board of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC). Mr. Baraje stated
that he decided to leave the board position in order to devote more
time to managing the nPDP and to avoid any scheme to use his NRC
chairmanship to blackmail or embarrass him in future.
Mr. Baraje added that he no longer had confidence in the leadership of the PDP.
His decision was conveyed in what was titled, "A Letter of Gratitude
and Resignation of Appointment as Chairman, Nigeria Railway
Corporation Governing Board." The letter was addressed to Anyim Pius
Anyim, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).
Personally signed by Mr. Baraje, the letter stated: "I hasten to
express my sincere gratitude to His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebele
Jonathan, GCFR, President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, through your
good office for the confidence he placed in my ability to have
appointed me to such an exalted position as Chairman, Nigeria Railway
Corporation.
"His Excellency, Mr. President, will recall that this appointment came
from his discretion in allotting some positions to our great party,
the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). However, it is no longer news that
there is an ongoing disagreement in principle between some top
stakeholders of our party of which I am among on the one hand and the
current leadership of the party on the other. This quagmire has
upturned my belief in the present leadership of our great party and
has consequently made my continued stay as the Chairman, Nigeria
Railway Corporation Governing Board uncomfortable.
"Realizing that the position of the Nigeria Railway Corporation
Chairmanship was allocated to the party and of which I am supposed to
symbolize, I would appreciate if your good office could please convey
to His Excellency, Mr. President, of my intention to relinquish this
position with immediate effect because I can no longer represent the
interest of the party whose leadership I no longer believe in."

No comments:

Post a Comment