Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Banned Nigerian athlete, Gloria Asunmu, apologises to AFN

The AFN quoted an apology letter sent by the athlete.
Nigerian sprinter, Gloria Asunmu, is said to have apologized to the
Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN)for her act of indiscretion
which embarrassed the federation during the Moscow 2014 IAAF World
Championships in Athletics.
While a press statement from AFN Head of Communication and Media,
Olukayode Thomas, reeled out the content of Asunmu's apology letter,
nothing was said on the six-month ban earlier slammed on the
Houston,Texas based sprinter in the wake of her earlier actions.
In Asunmu's letter, the sprinter said she was sorry for her comments
and actions made during and/or after the World Championships held
inMoscow, Russia.
She claimed her actions were not in any way meant to be
intentionallydisruptive or offensive.
"During my meeting with the disciplinary committee at this year'sWorld
Championships, I issued a verbal apology. Further, not only did I
comply with the request made at said meeting to 'clean up my social
media wall', I also issued a public apology on my social media page.
That said, I hereby apologize once again to the AFN and to all of the
Moscow team/officials for any unruly behavior on my part".
On her refusal to participate in the 4x100m relay, Asunmu stated that
she suffered a hamstring injury while competing in the 100m
semi-finals race "I underwent examination and daily rehabilitative
treatment in an effort to improve my readiness for the relay.
Unfortunately my recuperation did not progress as quickly as hoped and
as such, the final decision to withdraw myself from the relay was made
solely to avoid further injury. Kindly accept my apology for any
inconvenience/disruption caused to the AFN and the team," she said.
The AFN Technical Director and Chairman Technical Committee, Omatseye
Nesiama, urged athletes at all to make discipline their watch word:
"Athletes are role models and they must be good ambassadors at all
times. The federation will not hesitate to discipline any unruly
athlete after fair hearing, while those that are good ambassadors of
the federation and Nigeria will be celebrated", he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment