Friday, September 13, 2013

Rapists invade Abeokuta

The incidents of rape in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, is becoming
worrisome in recent times, prompting the state Police Command to
advise parents to be alert and security conscious.
In the past one month, hardly a week passes without a report of the
criminal act involving minors and teenagers. One of the latest was the
one involving a 37-year-old farmer who allegedly defiled a
six-year-old girl in the state capital.
The suspected rapist, Sanmi Oyewole, who has been arrested by the
Police, said he was attracted to the girl by her innocence. He had
lured her with N50.
The man rattled everyone around when he sad that he derived fun raping
young girls, because of their innocence, "which I usually capitalized
on''
The farmer also disclosed that many parents were careless about their
girl wards, which made "a sex-maniac like me to play on their
intelligence and later raped them.''
Patrick Onyechukwu, 27, who was a co-tenant to the mother of his
victim, was also arrested for allegedly raping a 12-year-old girl
through the anus in Oregun village, Ilese-Ijebu area of the state.
Saliu Lawal, 25, and Kabiru Yusuf, 22, are also currently cooling off
in the police custody after they allegedly raped two girls aged three
and nine-year- old in Ogere, Ikenne Local Government Area of the
state.
A spiritual leader, 46, penultimate Monday was arraigned for forcibly
having a carnal knowledge of a housewife in Abeokuta.
Olamide Shobowale of the Glory Church of Christ, Aladura, Oke Itoku
was accused of having unlawaful carnal knowledge of a housewife,
Modupe Makinde.
Shobowale had claimed that he had a divine message of good fortunate
for the unsuspecting women. And to make it come through, he demanded,
she had to have a bath in a flowing stream.
The gullible housewife, who was enthused by the prediction, accepted
to have the spiritual bath. There, the Aladura leader raped her.
A 39-year-old carpenter, Emmanuel Ojelade, also raped a nine-year-old
primary school pupil in Abeokuta. The suspect, a tenant in the house
as the girl at Ijeun-Titun, while her parents were away, asked the
minor into his room under the guise that he wanted to little girl to
help him buy food items.
He confessed: "As soon as the innocent girl entered my bedroom, I shut
the door behind and pounced on her. The scream of the girl from the
room attracted my neighbours, who forced the door open to rescue her."
The incident was later reported to the police by the girl's father. He
had taken his daughter to hospital, following blood-stain on her
private part.
During interrogation, the rapist was said to have confessed: "I am a
father of two, I was tempted by the devil, otherwise, I would not have
raped a girl that is not even up to the age of any of my children.''
Oyewole confessed: "I raped the girl just to satisfy my sexual urge
and nothing else. It has no spiritual linkage as many people want to
believe.''
However, he said: "I did not know that what I did with her was bad at
the time I was having enjoying myself. It was after I finished with
her; and the young girl started crying that I realized my stupidity
and immediately felt bad about it.
"I tricked her to come and collect N50 to buy groundnut. The girl
innocently followed me into my room and I placed her on my bed,
removed her pant and I penetrated into her. At a point, the girl
screamed and I used my hand to cover her mouth until I ejaculated.
"There was a serious sign of relief after I ejaculated and asked her
to go and be playing with her mates. There was no other way that I
could have helped myself than what I did to her. It was the devil that
pushed me into this. I am ready to pay dearly for this," Oyewole said.
According to him: "May be I would not have had the opportunity of
doing what I did with the girl if her parents, particularly her mother
had ensured her safety. She always left her loose wandering the street
even at her age.
"Even though she has no physical features, like breasts and others to
attract me, I just found in her the opportunity of satisfying my
immediate sexual urge, which I oftentime found difficult to control
anytime the thing comes on me''.
While speaking withSaturday Sun, the suspect said he is married to two
wives, "but none of them is under my roof for reasons best known to
me. The marriage produced five children with the first child, Bose, 17
years, already married and bearing children while the other ones are
in the custody of their mothers. I did not know that what I wanted to
do at that particular point in time was not right. But it dawned on me
when the young girl was in pains and the police arrested me. Actually,
I did not see any features in her that made me to force my manhood
into her."
Another alleged rapist, Kanayo Udechukwu, 23, who was also arrested by
the police in the state for allegedly defiling a four-year-old girl,
linked the criminal act to the handiwork of the devil.
Udechukwu raped his victim in his room at Alagbole area of Ajuwon in
Ifo Local Government Area and thereafter threatened her that he would
kill her if she told anyone about it.
"It was after the girl's grandmother noticed that her granddaughter
was not her usual self that she was forced to inquire about what went
wrong with her and she eventually let the cat out of the bag.''
Ogun State Police Command spokesman, Prince Muyiwa Adejobi, while
reacting to what he described as a worrisome situation, disclosed that
the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, has directed that
the juvenile and women centre in every police formations across the
state should be manned by a woman police who will investigate such
cases appropriately.
He quoted the IGP as also directing that the officer in charge of the
Anti-Human Traffic and child Labour unit should take care of all
related cases.
Adejobi, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, added that the command
would work with necessary agencies particularly the Ministry of Women
Affairs and Social Development of Ogun State on how to stop this
menace.
His words: "I advise parents to take care and monitor the movements of
the wards, particularly their girl-children. Aside from that, ladies
should also to make sure that they avoid night movement as well as
lone movement. They should also avoid indecent dressing.
"Now that schools are resuming, parents and school proprietors must
take care of the children in their care because the incident of rape
is rampant among minors, teenagers and pupils of school age.
"They must not hesitate to always report rape cases to the police,
because there are a lot of things to investigate immediately rape is
reported. Parents must shun the aspect of social stigma, which is
usually common in rape cases," he said, adding: "If parents fail to
report such cases to the appropriate quarters, such an act would
promote culture of impunity; and this is not good for the country'',
he stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment