Saturday, September 14, 2013

30 killed in renewed Nasarawa clash

No fewer than 30 persons were feared killed in a renewed skirmish
between Eggon and Alago ethnic groups in Obi, headquarters of Obi
local government of Nasarawa State on Saturday.
It was gathered that a number of villages had been razed and the
government had to deploy troops to the area when the police could not
contain the situation.
Tension had gripped the communities in Obi LGA and many residents were
said to have deserted their homes for fear of being killed.
Some women and children were seen with their bags and farm produce on
their heads as they fled their communities to escape being attacked by
the outlawed Ombatse militia group.
The clash between the two ethnic groups was said to have been caused
by the detention of some Eggon youths by security personnel with the
collaboration of some Alago youths.
The Eggon youths were on their way to Awe Local Government Area of the
state on an unknown mission when they were detained.
An Eggon man was said to have been attacked in Obi town and severely
beaten by some Alago youths, a development which sparked off a
reprisal attack by Eggon youths, who destroyed Odobu, an Alago
Meanwhile, Nasarawa State Deputy Governor, Daminishi Luka has summoned
a security meeting involving the military, the State Security Service
and the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps to brainstorm on the
The state Commissioner of Police, Umar Shehu, could not be reached
for comment as he did not respond to calls to his phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment